So, this post has taken me three days to write…just in time for Microblog Mondays!
Well, it’s been a busy few weeks around here. Nothing overwhelmingly good or bad…just consistently busy.
- We held Pumpkin’s “welcoming party” last weekend. It was a nice event which was held at a local park. There was way too much food, but that’s okay at a party with a ton of people…right? It was actually a nice mix of folks: family and a lot friends from different areas of our life. At MsV’s request, I sent her some photos of the event…she was impressed by how many people showed up to “love on” Pumpkin. We sadly had several people who couldn’t make it due to illness or travel, but overall…it was a lovely time.
- Pumpkin is almost a year old! It’s crazy to think about that. He’s walking a few steps at a time and says two words: “dog” (og) and “dada”. He can say “mama”, but I’m not sure he’s connected it to me…instead “dada” means either me or McRuger. Overall, he’s still a very happy, mellow, and calm baby. Sleep is an issue…but there’s not much right now to be done about that.
- McRuger got his yearly review a few weeks back and it’s all good news. Honestly, I was a bit concerned because of all the chaos with having two kids, but I needn’t have worried. McRuger’s boss is more than pleased with his work. And, to show the company’s appreciation, McRuger got a very generous stock grant, a sizable cash bonus, and a overall pay increase! Awesome work!
- With McRuger’s bonus, we paid off a few things and purchased a few things we needed/wanted. And, McRuger surprised me with a brand new MacBook Pro! My old machine was 7 years old and starting to really slow down. The battery life was pretty dismal too. So, my new machine is top-of-the-line with all the memory I could possibly want.
- But, along with all the good stuff..we’ve had some rocky patches too. Both McRuger and I have gotten really worn down. Cadet has been holding some awful hours these days, and he’s been really disregulated. It means that sometimes both boys are up for hours in the very early morning…or really late at night. So, along the way…we’ve taken some big sleeping hits. The other day, I took a two-hour nap while Iggy was here. Two hours…like it was nothing. It didn’t even have an impact on my sleeping that night. McRuger has been sleeping in later and later…just trying to catch up. We’re finally starting to get some clarity about where some of this is coming from, but it’s been really rough!
- And, of course, with lack of sleep…there has been some fighting too. I don’t handle sleep depravation particularly well. McRuger has been extraordinarily patient with me…and I have been less so with him. Dumb/stupid stuff that we shouldn’t be fighting over…snippiness…oh, just general awfulness. Thankfully, we seem to be over that, and back to our normal married selves.
- The weather has definitely turned away from summer. It’s in the mid-70s today and there’s a sharpness to the breeze. In the mornings, I have the boys in socks/slippers and warm pjs. I had to hunt down my slippers from last winter…the wooden floors can be chilly.
- I had dinner with AE a few nights ago. She arrived just as the boys were heading to sleep and we rushed off to our favorite sushi joint. For two solid hours, we talked…about everything. It’s really quite something to have that someone in my life (besides McRuger) who accepts me totally for who I am…and knows me insanely well on top of it. We just “get” each other, despite our differences. I really appreciate the time we get to spend together. We spent a good deal of time talking about our upcoming trip to visit MsV in StateX.
- Homeschooling has been on the back-burner for a few weeks now. It’s been rough to get a consistent rhythm down with so much sleep disruption. Cadet and I have been doing some “on the fly” sort of learning. Lots of time outside, hiking with friends, or just exploring something new. We’re trying to read new books and learn about new people and places.
- Halloween here will be a bit odd. It’s Pumpkin’s birthday, so we want to do something to celebrate that…and yet we also want to take Cadet to a few houses for trick or treating (he’s going as a dinosaur). So, it looks like we’ll have a small party early in the day for Pumpkin and do the “Halloween thing” later with Cadet.
- Our plans for Thanksgiving have been finalized and it will involve a LOT of travel, but I think it will be good. Christmas is still up in the air. Right now, we’re deciding between doing a small Christmas at our house…or a larger Christmas at my parent’s house. Frankly, I’d be interested in a smaller, more low-key Christmas….but that’s not how Christmas’s go at Bro’s house.
How is everyone out there in the world? Hope you’re all doing well.
This post is for Microblog Mondays. If you don’t know what that is….check out the original post HERE.